Q:There’s only one woman for Superman, the real Wonder Woman, Lois Lane. Wonder Usurper is not her. I HATE Superman/Wonder Woman AKA FAUXMANCE It is the stupidest pair ever. It's only because they have the same powers. Warrior Woman only cares for Superman's powers. She doesn't care for his human side, Clark. It doesn't even make sense. It's just to satisfy dumb male fantasy to have Wonder Warrior as a sex object. I suggest you rethink what you are representing, sexism at it's finest!
Rethink what I am representing? Anon, bullying, lying, misrepresenting and insulting others seems to be the modus operandi of whatever you’re standing for. I don’t see you fighting for female equality. All I see is bitterness, hypocrisy, and vitriol because people dare to like a fictional pairing different to you and trying to hijack our blog post to rant over our enjoyment says more about you than us. And I personally don’t appreciate you telling me what to spend my hard earn money on nor telling me how to think. I think you’re really very rude and all you seem to do is regurgitate words and incomprehensible accusations coined by a group of angry Clois shippers that frankly makes no sense to anyone who is informed/educated about female empowerment.
Once again, I feel the need to repost this for all the Lois worshipers who parrot this line of nonsense:
1. Your girl, in the Golden Age, went out of her way to screw Clark over in ways ranging from trying to get him fired to trying to drug him.
2. Your girl, in the Max Fleischer cartoons, was fond of screwing him out of assignments as often as possible.
3. Your girl, in the Kirk Alyn serials, went so far as to GET HIM FALSELY ARRESTED in order to screw him out of assignments.
4. Your girl, in Richard Donner’s version of Superman II, tried to expose him in front of the entire Daily Planet staff (no regard for his feelings or for the safety of her co-workers) and manipulated him into exposing himself by threatening his life.
5. Your girl, in the theatrical version of Superman II, openly admitted that she was too selfish and jealous to accept his life as Superman, guaranteeing they had no future together.
6. Your girl, in the Iron Age comics:
- happily exposed Perry White’s son as being mixed up with Intergang despite being warned about the public humiliation Perry would suffer, bragged about getting a Pulitzer for it, and lectured an understandably upset Perry about journalistic integrity.
- engaged in a rebound romance with the ever-so-sleazy Jeb Friedman within seconds of Superman being entombed, only breaking it off when Superman conveniently resurfaced and ultimately carrying on a flirtation/heavily implied affair with Jeb even after Clark was back in the game. (Ron Frenz, who drew some of the issues in question, confirmed Lois and Jeb were hooking up when I met him at Motor City Comic Con some years back.)
- dumping Clark for being Superman, getting with Jeb, blaming Clark (in some stories, anyway) for Jeb’s “tragic” death and refusing to marry Clark because he was Superman. (They only reason you got the marriage at all was because DC broke their contract with Lois & Clark and WB put their foot down.)
- continued being emotionally abusive to Clark on and off during their marriage, to the point of homicidal, insane jealousy over not only Wonder Woman, but ALL of Clark’s female friends and peers, publicly humiliating Lana Lang over her divorce and accusing Clark of cheating with the women in the JLA when the Cir-El Supergirl showed up.
- tried to dump Clark following “Our Worlds at War” because he tried to help stop Imperiex from wiping out Themyscira instead of babysitting her Luthor-flunky dad, who faked his death and wound up doing even worse to Clark later on. Worst of all, she did so under the pretense of going on vacation with her mother and left Clark “Dear John” messages and wrote journal entries about how much she hated him for not leaving Wonder Woman and her people to die.
- flat-out admitted to the above in Jeph Loeb’s Dracula issue, where they were both forced to admit exactly how they felt about each other (self-righteous arrogance from Lois, unresolved pain from Clark).
- gave a co-worker at a TV gig all sorts of belligerence and bad attitude for the horrible act of…trying to shut off her cell phone so it wouldn’t interfere with an interview she was conducting.
- flat-out refused to accept evidence clearing Ray Palmer of Sue Dibny’s murder in the Trinity weekly series, bashing the forensic team as incompetents and vowing to pin the crime on Ray no matter what.
- was a total rampaging bitch in Superman Returns, being unspeakably rude to a flight attendant for no reason, mouthing off at Perry White when she couldn’t get her way, treating her nice-guy fiance like a cold fish, and casually endangering the life of her son with nary a second thought.
This is your idea of “the real Wonder Woman”? Someone who redefines the word selfish on a daily basis? Someone who even comic book historians will admit has been a hostile and divisive character from the moment of her inception? Someone who, quite frankly, is a glaring example of how NOT to write a female character? She’s not likable. She’ll sacrifice anything resembling integrity on a dime if she thinks she’ll benefit from it. She’s self-involved and petty to an insane degree. If you think these are admirable and desirable qualities, that says far more about you than it does about anyone who doesn’t think Lois is God’s gift to literature.
If it’s a “fauxmance” you want, Superman/Lois is the very definition of it. I don’t find emotional abuse, implied infidelity, arrogance, backstabbing, irrational jealousy, and outsized entitlement to be romantic in the least. I don’t buy it in other franchises, and I’m sure as hell not going to accept it here. My God, even DC doesn’t buy into the idea of Lois as Superman’s one and only; all the messing around with Jeb and the marital abuse that followed was DC’s (self-defeating) way of trying to get out of having them as a couple pre-DCNU, and even as late as 2006 Paul Levitz admitted they still wanted to get rid of the marriage. So who are you trying to kid?
Stop it with the “Superman and Wonder Woman are a fauxmance” shit. You have no leg to stand on.
Q:What would you say to the people who say it made sense Superman turned evil in Injustice because the story was careful to show how he slowly falls from grace?
I would say Injustice need to try to justify pitting Superman against Batman. Trying to make other heroes take sides. It is premised on a fighting game. It is no Red Son or Kingdom Come whereby for example Superman’s nurturing is different or even after losing Lois he grieves and 10 years passes etc and he had to return because things were worsening.
Injustice seems to set up the flipping of people’s characters overnight. It tries to use extreme events like destroying Metropolis, killing Lois and the unborn child etc to make Clark suddenly realize…errm, the world is a messed up place with despots and poverty and wars ( like he really didn’t know that before) and maybe I should do something about it now…but wait the only thing really is to use dictatorial measures, and ultimately genocide.
Now you tell me. The man raised by farmers, good people, salt of the earth, whose biological parents sacrificed their lives so he should live, who had a stable upbringing, heroic friends, apparently a happy marriage… turning into a genocidal maniac? Is he the only person who lost things in this world? Humans have faced horrible things in history like slavery, the Holocaust, atomic bombs, do horrible things to survive but they endure. What makes a hero a hero is the ability to stay true to who he/she is and if he/she gets taken to the edge to remember and come back. I would faster believe Clark would go into exile than take the stand he took. The guy use to be a reporter too. A person who reports the truth and advocates for freedom, taking such extreme measures? All Injustice has done is show perhaps when the crap hits the fan, Superman loses his perspective, his own morals, betrays the teaching of the people who raised him and the parents who died so he could live. The guy DC like to claim is great because he is human at heart can’t even endure the tests that normal humans endure and persevere. A hero is not made great because things go his way. It is in darkest times we see who is the hero. Least that is how the journey goes when it comes to writing heroes. Look at Superman’s little cousin Kara. Or the Martian Manhunter. They suffered more losses than Clark Kent ever could; they lose their entire planet/race and they don’t turn evil.
Then we get to a hero like Wonder Woman who is simply way out of character from the very beginning. Written as the generic warrior/war monger. She is not here to fight for peace but to push for war. She manipulates Superman. She is dubbed the rebound girl. The subtext is very clear and it wants the reader to blame her in part for what Superman is becoming. Which is pretty unfortunate to Lady Macbeth Diana of all people.The story seems to imply Lois could keep him moral but Diana makes him lose restraint. The Diana we all know is compassionate, wise and she is a warrior yes but she uses the olive branch first. The Diana we know would give Clark his space to grieve and certainly never encourage him or abet him to do what he is doing.
I am certainly not against writing heroes falling from grace in an Elseworld scenario but this is a pretty over the top way of doing it because it ignores imo too many factors. But it ultimately sets up what DC wants which is what the game is about. Superman vs Batman. This is becoming a bit of a tired cliche as well. From Justice League Beyond, to Earth 2, Injustice, etc an evil maniacal bully Superman needing to get schooled and I will say I am fed up of it. I truly can’t say it helps people understand Superman’s character if people reading these team books never pick up the actual Superman comics. So while I get some people are enjoying Injustice simply to see characters do things they would never do…I would hope that the extreme examples in this story is not the way fans would see these characters. I believe unless Superman goes through a totally different upbringing like Red Son or unless it is an earth where he is inherently evil like Ultraa Man, he will never become the villain. He could be tested to the extreme but his goodness triumphs in the end. That’s my head canon and I am sticking to it. :)
Q:These trolls should be grateful to have people as patient and tactful as you representing Superman/Wonder Woman shippers as a whole and that some of the more belligerent and vociferous SM/WW shippers, such as myself, have neither the time, nor the inclination to stoke hostilities with tumblr's of our own.
As the book says a peaceful answer turns away wrath, it’s easy to get 386’d, we try not to, remember justice, truth and mercy, because these are ideas we aspire too.
When creating this Tumblr we wanted to celebrate our OTP, we felt the time was right.
There was another facet to this however, the knowledge that out there - in Tumblr, and other social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, there were fans of the Diana and Kal pairing that didn’t know how big the Superman Wonder Woman fanbase actually was!
They felt alone, and worse they were being targeted with evangelical zeal - being told they were wrong, often in a thinly veiled passive aggressive way by certain fans.
Certain fans were acting as gatekeepers shutting out anyone who liked Superman and Wonder Woman as a couple, using important words such as Feminism and Misogyny to put barriers up, to denigrate our stories as less good, even harmful - and by extension the people like us who enjoyed them.
We are lightening rod example of this. Early on this Tumblr was attacked, and misrepresented, it went as far as one blogger claiming wildly that we posted something negative about Lois Lane every single day. Creators like Andy Diggle and Mark Millar were targeted, ( we know we talked to them privately ) Scott Lobdell was lied about. This is an ongoing problem as Charles Soule and Tony Daniel experienced.
It was for me personally very distressing to see female fans, especially young female fans targeted.
We choose to answer asks that are “obvious Troll being obvious” for a number of reasons; to highlight the hate, to meet that hate with compassion as best we can, to answer falsehood with truth, and because the just thing to do is to stand up to bullies.
As our fan base has grown to over 6500 followers, and it’s growing still, growing so fast we can’t thank our fans as we once did, we recognise the power this increasing reach gives us, and as Stan Lee wrote, with great power comes great responsibility.
As an example of our fandom, that has had shout outs by Bleeding Cool and Newspapers like the UK Guardian, we try our human best to be an example of the values we aspire too.
We give of our time, and sometimes that hard to do with real lives to live, because we enjoy our stories, but most of all we do it because the fans of this blog and our OTP have proven themselves to be Wonder Woman and Supermen time and time again.
This blog is for you and everyone, and we’re humbled that our followers have made this such a super wonderful place to be
People be like, “I don’t like Superman because I can’t relate to him.” Then they turn around and start gushing over the emotionally crippled billionaire genius/olympic-level athlete whose only functional interpersonal relationship is with his paid butler/valet.
For Hellboy: The Wild Hunt #7 Cover Line Art. Mike Mignola. 2009.
Mignola: This is Hellboy: The Giant Religious Painting. I thought this was a great example of how huge this book can be, should be. The threat the promise of what this character is which is so far removed from anything I ever thought he was gonna be. And I thought it worked. Again, it’s something I don’t do very often — the big, glowing sky thing — but yeah, it worked. I don’t know that I would do a piece like this now. it’s very much of its time. It nailed that version of what this character may well be one of these days.
It’s not meant to be Godzilla stomping on a town. There’s an awe and majesty to what Hellboy is, will be. Whether it’s the god of destruction or something else, there’s a real godlike quality I wanted as opposed to just a giant monster stomping the town quality.